Colored pasta beads are one of the most popular and the easiest thing that I make for the kids. They use them to glue on paper, create necklaces using string and pipe cleaners and they are a favorite when it comes to creating bright colored additions to some of their favorite Christmas crafts.
How to Make Colored Pasta Beads
You need: pasta, food coloring and rubbing alcohol (sub: hand sanitizer)
1. Place some pasta, we prefer a mixed pasta, in a ziploc bag
2. Add about 10 drops of food coloring
3. Add a capful or squirt of rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer
4. Shake the pasta around in the bag to distribute the color
5. Add more color if desired
6. Shake around more, place on flat surface to dry like a baking sheet
7. Dry for twelve hours, shake it around after it’s been sitting for about ten minutes
Make it More Vibrant
Once it is finished, the colors are vibrant and bright. To create these colors I used a combination of neon and regular red/pink, and neon and regular green. I find the colors from the Neon food coloring to be much more vibrant. If you’re using a pigment coloring, like from the Bulk Barn you need significantly less.