As we enter the last two weeks of summer, I know we’re scrambling to make the most of the last few days, with playgrounds to adventure to and events to discover around the city. If you’re looking for some inspiration for your own adventures, here are twenty-one family-friendly activities that you should do before the summer is over and the kids head back to school.
1. Slide down the colored slides and explore the new Kinsmen Grizzly Bear Park
2. Explore the Edmonton Corn Maze – and get 20% off!
3. Get a babysitter for Date Night: Have a 1920s picnic date night at Fort Edmonton Park (August 28)
4. Plan that last weekend road trip of the summer and visit somewhere like Discovery Canyon, or the River Slides, in Red Deer
5. Get glammed up Kid Style and Head to Kingsway to Enter the Edmontons Child Cover Magazine Contest
7. Check out Science in the Park at Telus World of Science (Saturdays and Sundays)
8. Come see Bobs and Lolo at the Opening of Gilmore Pathway Party and take part in decorate kids bikes for the bike parade
9. Bring the kids to PC Cooking School at your local Superstore and take one of the Kids Classes (3-5, 6-11) for under $10
10. Visit Open Farm Days at Prairie Garden Adventure Farms and get Free kids admission to the corn maze and kids fun zone
11. Get a FREE performance of Disney In Concert at Churchill Square presented by the Edmonton Symphony and Come dressed up as your favorite Disney Character.
12. Get entertained (and eat!) at the Viva Italia, Viva Edmonton Festival at Giovanni Caboto Park on August 24
13. 7K Ride, Hike and Plant a Tree to celebrate Edmontons Urban Forest (limited spots left!)
14. Check out the #yeg Market in the Back Alley and find a new favorite street food
15. Girls Night Out – Outdoor Spin Party in the Square with LIVE DJ Action hosted by Soulspin
16. Catch up on the Best Food Trucks of the Summer at a place you can have a PICNIC in St. Albert Grain Elevator Park
17. Watch Frozen or the Amazing Spiderman 2 on a Tuesday night at Churchill Square
18. Spend the last Thursday of the month (August 28) at the Thursday night free admission to the Art Gallery of Alberta
19. Have one last camp out in the backyard, overnight and toast marshmallows, and the last of summer memories around the fire pit
21. Have a picnic, or roast some Marshmallows at Jackie Parker Park