I suck at bedtime. I’m lucky. I don’t have to do it often, only a handful of times during the month when Jamie is busy, or when he’s away with the guys. We know each other’s strengths, and his is bedtime. He can wrangle the kids, he’ll cuddle with them, let them lay on his arm and can sit there content with them until they fall asleep.
Me? I’m just itching to get out there. I can’t sit there with the kids until they fall asleep, on nights like tonight, when they’re under the weather. It drives me mad to have them laying all over me, with their lanky, hot limbs. It makes me insane to think about the tasks that I could be getting done instead of laying there, staring at the blank wall. Just think how many episodes of the Walking Dead I could be catching up on, or the laundry that I could be re-washing for the third time. Think about the pantry that I could be organizing, or the legs that I could be shaving. I could be making brownies! I lay there, going insane, with this list of things that I could be doing because sitting still in the dark? Not my strong point.
The best partners balance one another, right? Jamie has more patience than me, so he does bedtime and I get up in the morning. I sign the permission slips, I make breakfast, I get the kiddo dressed and get a head start on the day before everyone else wakes up.
There are so many other things that I would rather do than bedtime.
- I would rather clean glitter out of the leaf of the table
- I would rather go around the house flushing toilets, because the kids never do
- I would rather shave my legs
- I would rather go through the dreaded ‘to file’ folder and file/toss out the papers
- I would rather bring out the trash, even if it’s disgusting
- I would rather get a paper cut
- I would rather watch Jamie play Destiny, and I hate that game
- I would rather clean up marker off of the carpet
- And… find that smell
- I would rather step on sprinkles on the floor all day long, in socks
- I would rather spend a few minutes working out on the hockey jersey hanger of an elliptical machine
- I would rather step on the sharpest piece of lego
Or, you know, anything but bedtime.