It’s March Break. The kids are out of school and this morning was the start of something magical. Ha, I’m kidding. It was Chaos and no one was wearing pants. Hello, Spring Break! As it’s the first day of Spring break, we’re going to head out to the trampoline park because it’s topping the list lately of the things the kids want to do when they’ve got some free time – but that got me to thinking how expensive the whole spring break thing is – especially if you’re out doing activities every single day.
So, here you have it – 25 things you can do for free with the kids in Edmonton over Spring Break.
- Make Crafts with Sticks.I don’t know about your kids, but my kids are super into making crafts with sticks. We’ll just take a walk through the urban forest and they’ll come out with 900 sticks that they’re going to bring home and use a hot glue gun (let them go at it with the low heat one) and make sculptures, fairy garden stuff, and more. It’s easy, it’s cheap, and it gets them out of the house to go for a walk.
- Home Depot kids Club. During the week of spring break (all next week) kids can stop by their local home depot store, every single day,and take part in bird house making sessions. It’s free, and it leaves you without the mess of attempting that, at home.
- Library programming. From puppet shows, to digital content, to creative programs where kids can learn to code and take part in scavenger hunts, there are plenty of things going on at Edmonton Public Library for families to choose from.
- Almost free ($2.99) movies. There are four movies to choose from next week with screenings and show times that are going to make it easy to bring the kids out for a show. There are daily movie screenings starting at 11 am – the kids are most excited about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Storks.
- Head to your local Chapters Store, where there will be different things to do, every morning starting at 11 am. Each day is a new theme, with new activities for the kids.
- Learn about Dinosaurs at the drop in classes at the Library. Visit the epl.ca website to find a location and a time near you!
- Visit Southgate Ivivva store for bracelet making and hair braiding with one of the sessions taking place through the week of March break. Call the store for details.
- Make plans to stop by the Street Party on Saturday, April 1st, on Rice Howard Way. There are going to be S’mores, activities for the kids, wagon rides and extended patios. Plus, there will be tacos from Tres Carnales.
- It is the last Thursday of the month so that means you can spend the evening at the Art Gallery of Alberta, exploring the exhibits with the kids, for FREE.
- Skate for free during the Spring Break family skate at Terwillegar Rec Centre. Stop by and skate on March 28th (details right here)